Wednesday, September 24, 2014

.Me, In The Words Of Others.

“I could see why Archimedes got all excited. There was nothing finer than the feeling that came rushing through you when it clicked and you suddenly understood something that had puzzled you. It made you think it just might be possible to get a handle on this old world after all.” 
― Jeannette Walls, Half Broke Horses

“I suppose I really seemed mad, then; but it was only through the awfulness of having said nothing but the truth, and being thought to be deluded.”
― Sarah Waters, Fingersmith

“You have a spine of steel and fire in your eyes... To have such a quality, one must be shaken to the foundation of one’s soul and put back together. I want to know how you emerged from hell made of steel and fire.” 
― Moriah Densley, Song For Sophia

“But she had learnt, in those solemn hours of thought, that she herself must one day answer for her own life, and what she had done with it; and she tried to settle that most difficult problem, how much was to be utterly merged in obedience to authority, and how much might be set apart for freedom in working.” 
― Elizabeth Gaskell, North and South

“Being a woman is a terribly difficult task, since it consists principally in dealing with men.” 
― Joseph Conrad

“I, with a deeper instinct, choose a man who compels my strength, who makes enormous demands on me, who does not doubt my courage or my toughness, who does not believe me naïve or innocent, who has the courage to treat me like a woman.” 
― Anaïs Nin

“I would always rather be happy than dignified.” 
― Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre

“Better to be strong than pretty and useless.” 
― Lilith Saintcrow, Strange Angels

“I hate to hear you talk about all women as if they were fine ladies instead of rational creatures. None of us want to be in calm waters all our lives.” 
― Jane Austen, Persuasion

1 comment: