Friday, December 26, 2014

.Morning Chores.

It's been a while since I went out and did chores. With the little man running around, most of the time I stay in and baby-wrangle. So this morning, since he's with his daddy, I pulled on somebody else's coveralls (mine are way too small now) and went out to toss some hay at the critters.

I felt like a little kid again, shuffling through the snowdrifts in my new Christmas packs. Despite the cold and the wind, the sun was shining and every thing was sparkling...goshdamn it, I love this place. 

I gave smooches to horse noses with whiskers covered in icicles. I busted ice in water tanks. I puked behind the squeeze chute, because apparently icy wind does not help a cough. But hey, that's not the first time I've done that. And grandma and I had a little too much fun on the tractor, because she drives that thing like it's a dune buggy no matter what's on the ground.

So now my face is red and my lips are numb, and it's time to get ready for my town job. I do miss spending all my time outside and with my animals, but babies have to eat and free-spiriting doesn't pay too well. Pretty quick, Sam will be old enough to bundle up and bust through snowdrifts in his new Christmas packs, and he'll be able to go out with his momma to throw hay at the critters. I really hope he'll appreciate snowy mornings and what it means to care for his animals. 

Then I'll have done my job.

No comments:

Post a Comment