Tuesday, February 4, 2014

.My Baby Glowed In The Dark.

It's been a while...oh, blog, how I've missed you!

Two weeks ago, at 4:58 a.m. on January 19th, I gave birth to a big, sweet baby boy and, since then, I have had precisely zero time to do anything. I am exhausted, I cry more often than my newborn, and I perpetually smell like baby pee...it's heavenly. But here I am, reunited with my keyboard and looking for the right words.

There were 46 hours of labor and a very difficult and, unfortunately, natural, drug-free birth (screw you, failed epidurals), but thankfully most all I remember is literally grabbing my son out of the doctor's hands the moment he came out, and marvelling at how big his hands and feet were. What a creature! What a glorious creature! His whole immediate family was there to welcome him -- his daddy, his Mee-maw and his Gee-maw (my mother and grandmother), and his Poppy and Amuma (his father's parents)...all sleep-deprived and overjoyed to meet little Sam.

These are going to be some spurrin' feet, someday...

The next few days were pretty rough. Both baby and I were still doing pretty poorly. At the hospital he had needed to have his blood sugar checked before every single bottle (although thankfully he was not born diabetic and the issue righted itself after a few days of regular feedings) and had to be on a phototherapeutic blanket 24/7 because of a scarily severe case of jaundice which continued a full week after we came home, along with daily visits to the doctor's office to have his blood drawn. My poor baby glowed in the dark.

On his "Billiblanket"...or, I gave birth to the Green Lantern.

But now, 16 days later, all is right with the world. He has gained almost a full pound since his birth and has grown almost a whole inch. He eats like a champ, hates baths with a passion, and is already trying to grow his first beard. He looks more and more like his dad every day. He's already growing too fast. As for me, I'm ready to go back to writing, reading, working out, and riding. I still have a month of resting to go before my doctor will allow me to do the working out and the riding, but I fully intend to get back to being creative as much as possible. More than anything, I'm ready to get back out into the world and do some adventuring...

I've got the best little shotgun rider I can imagine, and I can't wait to show him how wonderful life can be here in the high desert <3 p="">

Totally sleep-deprived and blissfully happy.


3 comments:

  1. So happy for you, thank god you are both ok, it was a rough start for sure. I cant tell you how proud I am of you, just wish I lived closer, big hugs for you and Sam!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy for you!! You look so happy when your with him! A friend of mine's husband is a Saddle Bronc rider and on their little baby boy's walker they put a little bronc rein on it so he could practice! I saw that and I instantly thought of you and little Sam. I hope everything continues to go well for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! What a beautiful little boy and mama! A very special time for you.

    ReplyDelete