Thursday, February 20, 2014

.Love, I Think.

I used to love the chase.
I used to love late night text messages and last-minute plans, a swipe of C.O. Bigelow peppermint lip gloss and pulling on my boots at midnight for an adventure.
I used to love empty beer cans in the back of my pickup and Marlboro Reds from his shirt pocket.
A Metallica song came on the radio. "I should marry you..." he said when I turned it up and sang along.
"If you were smart, you would."
He was probably joking.
I was probably not.
I used to love the dark side of mornings, shooting stars over the desert punctuating thoughts I'd have been better off not having, and the highway home after nights that lasted too long.
"I'm going to be on the wagon...I'll call you when I get to town next time."
"I won't hold my breath."
And I didn't.

I never really knew what love was.
In my mind Love was bucking horses and pick up horses and big loops and years of conversations in a language of what-ifs and probably-nevers, Seven and Sevens, you-should-come-see-mes and maybe-I-wills.
In my mind love was a possibility.
I never wanted to know what was in his mind.
I still really don't know what love is.

"I heard you're gonna calve out."
"That's a hell of a way to put it."
"I'm gonna lose service...I'll call you when I come off the wagon."
"I won't hold my breath."
And I didn't.

I can't stand the chase.
The phone doesn't ring anymore and I barely notice it...a year's worth of wagons and works have gone by since I wore that lipgloss. I don't even remember where I left it.
Sometimes I find myself craving a Marlboro red and the scent of smoke and booze on a breath that touched my face.
A Metallica song comes on the radio. "He should've married me..." I say, then I turn it up and sing along.
If he was smart, he would've.
The baby's with his grandma and I'm going ten miles an hour over the speed limit to get home.
Home is finally where my heart is.
At least that's a love I do understand.






6 comments:

  1. Wow so very beautiful. Like Liz said on FB it's the real stuff that I like people aren't hiding behind fake words and you are able to see the real person. I wish I had half the guts to actually put thing that rattle in my head on paper. I'm always afraid of who will see and what they will say! You are my hero!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was great! Keep writing ... you have a story there!
    Just found this blog, think I'll hang around some.
    ~M

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you...beautiful...reality isn't perfect or pretty all the time. Honesty is refreshing and we need it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ive been waiting to come across something like this for a long time, something so relatable and truthful, Thank you this is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great ! You need to publish! Love this, could be a song 🎼

    ReplyDelete