Monday, August 26, 2013

.The Newest Adventure.

What is it about learning that you're becoming a mother that changes you so completely?

I don't know, it hasn't happened yet.

In the five days since I discovered that I am expecting, I have waivered in between various states of shock, panic, and sheer terror. THERE IS A TINY HUMAN BEING INSIDE MY BODY. I, the girl who forgets to feed the dog and has spent my entire life floating from place to place with no cares in the world, am going to be responsible for a little baby boy.

Oh, sweet Jesus, bless his teeny heart...I apologize in advance.

But underneath the anxiety, I know that we're going to be okay. I have a great support system in the form of my momma and my grandma who have been holding my hand through the whole process, easing my paranoia and laughing at my discomfort as only a woman who has been there can...I think I'm dying half the time, but they assure me that I'm not really, and that this is nothing compared to what's coming in the next few months (thanks, thanks a whole lot).

I find myself worrying when I lay down at night. How will I teach this little boy everything he'll need to know about being a good man? Will his daddy someday be around to teach him, or will I have to figure it out on my own? How will I protect him from all the bullshit in the world that surrounds him, when it seems that there is more and more sadness and anger and negativity and pure evil every single day? Will there still be sagebrush country for him to ride when he grows up? So many questions and I have no answers.

Still, I look at the women that raised me and the men that served as father figures to me, and all the wonderful people that helped me through life and taught me the things I know and I am confident that my son will be surrounded by the best people there are to grow up with. He'll have a few good wings to huddle under and a few good brains to pick, and somewhere along the way I'm sure he'll grow up having learned all he needs to be okay in the life he'll make for himself one day.

I used to pray to God to bring me a good cowboy to love forever. I had no idea that he'd make one from my own heart. It isn't what I had in mind, but He knows what he's doing. So for now, I'm going to get used to the flutters in my tummy and not being able to button my pants, and look forward to what's coming. After all, it's only once in a lifetime that a girl goes on the adventure of being a brand-new momma.

10 comments:

  1. waah, this makes me want to cry! YOU are going to be amazing. He is one lucky little man and maybe you can set the bar in him on how a man should treat a lady. I love everything about this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shannon. Raising him close to my mom and grandma is a sure way to make sure he grows up and learns how to be a man, lol. They have more cajones than anyone else I know!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations! Having two little boys, I can tell you it will be a wild ride, but more than worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm beginning to really look forward to it!

      Delete
  3. This post did make me tear up a little bit. I can't honestly give you any advice or anything about parenting or pregnancy because I've never been there. But I do know that if you take everything just one day at a time, trust in God, and ask for help then I am sure that you will do fine! From what little I have learned about you through your blog I have no doubt that you will raise an amazing young man. You seem like a very strong person who has a good head on your shoulder and good values. I'm sure it will be hard and you will have days you just want to cry but honestly it happens to everyone. You will just have to brush it off and start the new day fresh! I may not have the best advice in the world but I will always have an ear to listen to If you ever need to vent to someone just shoot me an email or message. I'd be happy to listen! I wish you the very best and know I'm rooting for you!

    I hope you have a wonderful day!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  4. First congrats! Raising a little boy is a wonderful adventure. I raised one amazing young man. Teach him morals, respect and love for life. Everything else will fall in to place. When you see that tiny little face looking at you that moment he takes his first breath. All the fear goes out the window. You are in love for life! Again congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope I can teach him to be a man like men used to be, not like many of them are now.

      Delete
  5. Cassidy,

    Your post was so lovely tonight. Congratulations on being a mother and enjoy every step of the way! You have a wonderful way with words and I loved how honest you are-you will be a wonderful momma!

    Big hugs,

    ~A

    ReplyDelete